Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Adapted Books in a Special Education Classroom



I'm just going to be honest....I am OBSESSED with using adapted books in my classroom! They are a good "grab and go" activity, if I have a little extra time after a lesson to fill. My EA's also use these in the general education classrooms, when a reading passage or activity may be over my kiddos' levels.

I organize my books in bins so they are easily accessible to any adult who needs one for a lesson or activity.

In my classroom, I use the counting adapted books to teach basic counting skills. It is nice for my kiddos to change up themes and activities from just the normal counting activities. My students enjoy the different themes and stories that often go a long with them. I even have a couple of counting from 11-20 for my higher kiddos.

I use "WH" questions adapted books that are wonderful to practice or track IEP comprehension goal data. I can use one to go along with an upcoming holiday or to teach a skill that is being taught in their regular education classroom. I have found that it is nice to have the comprehension questions immediately after the passage. It is also helpful to have a visual along with the words for my nonreaders. I am constantly adding new adapted books to my library to keep learning interesting and fun for my students.

This is an adapted book I use to teach my students about Hanukkah. You can find this book here.

All of my adapted books can be found on my Teachers Pay Teachers store, SPEDitorials

I also offer an Adapted Books Growing Bundle in my store that I upload new books to regularly. You will definitely get the best bang for your buck with this bundle!

1 comment:

  1. Your adapted books look like so much fun! I love that you have them for all different subjects!

    ReplyDelete