Sunday, March 6, 2016

DIY Classroom Magnetic Board

    I'm always in search of new and unique ways for my students to learn and grow. I'm sure you are too! I mean that's why you're here, right? :) I have several students in my class that receive occupational therapy. Earlier this year, our OT came in and told me that having students with fine motor issues work on a vertical surface can help improve some of the student's fine motor skills. So, I took this and ran with it! I mean, if it's going to help my students, I was gonna find a way to make this happen!

My solution? Huge magnetic board work station! And if you knew me, you would know that I had to make this a fun DIY project. My first stop? Home Depot. I bought a sheet of galvanized steel for about $10. It was a pretty big sheet and also can double as a dry erase board. So, it was a great buy.


I decided to mount it on the partition that I have, to make the most use of my space as possible. As you can see, I used bulletin board border to make it look a little cuter. I also put a couple layers of duct tape around all of the edges of the sheet metal because it is VERY sharp and I wasn't going to take a chance of any of my kiddos cutting their hand. 

                                  

I already have letters for my class, so I just but some sticky magnets on the back and it was good to go! I have some kiddos that are also working on colors, shapes, and numbers, so I made work kits that a paras could have available when they needed it.


                     

I went a little Cricut crazy, and cut out shapes, letters, and objects in different colors. Each folder has a pencil case that has all of the materials that the paras need for each activity.     
                  

The paras LOVE it and the students LOVE it! They pull up a bean bag or a floor cushion and the have a blast. The best thing about this is that you can do any type of activity on this board. It can be completely modified depending on what subject and level you teach!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment